Development of the regional smart energy management system based on energy storages
In order to achieve a low-carbon society, the further advancement of energy conservation technology and the further proliferation of renewable energy are crucial.
Meanwhile, maintaining a comfortable indoor environment is an important factor in improving labor productivity, health management and extension of healthy life years.
This technological development is aimed at maximally improving energy conservation rates while maintaining optimal indoor environments.
Furthermore, in order to fully utilize the limited supply of energy without waste, buildings in a specified region are linked to conduct energy exchanges.
AI is used to manage these technologies, enabling efficient control based on learned experience and results.
1. Optimal control of indoor airspace
(1) Measure the indoor atmosphere that residents are exposed to.
• By measuring indoor temperatures, humidity, airflow and CO2 concentration, AI determines how the residents feel in the indoor environment.
(2) Improve the indoor environment based on measurement results.
• AI determines how to make all areas comfortable, and proposes those conditions to the resident.
• After a fixed period of time, the facility equipment becomes automatically controlled, and the indoor environment changes.
(3) Health management of residents
• The sensors on the facility equipment check the residents' body temperature, facial expressions, and amounts of activity to grasp their health conditions.
• Indoor environments are individually controlled according to health conditions.
2. Energy exchanges between regions
(1) Energy storage within individual buildings
• In addition to storing electric power using storage batteries, heat storage methods will be made possible.
• For example, bodily heat is stored in thermal storage tanks.
• Heat generated from facility equipment is stored.
• Utilize hydrogen energy storage using renewable electric power.
(2) Energy exchanges between regions
• Stored electric power and heat can be exchanged between regions.
• In doing so, the AI analyzes the storage amount and the usage trends of each building, which then allows the AI to automatically control the distribution.
• Another option is to use the energy as fuel for low-carbon vehicles and drones.
• The exchange amount is not only quantified and visualized, but also calculated as points to be utilized as value within regions as part of a larger system.
• Facility equipment manufacturers
• Cloud service providers
• Network system providers
• Software developers
• Mobility manufacturers
Supplementary information (notes or reference URLs)
Other Innovation Challenges
Floating Offshore Wind Turbine Promotion
Similar Innovation Challenges
"Zero-Carbon Challenge 2050"
EAST JAPAN RAILWAY COMPANY
Accelarating the penetration of renewable energy resources with “Open Energy System”
Sony Group Corporation
Achieving net-zero carbon emissions from plant factories using full artificial lighting
Advanced technology for buildings providing energy-saving and comfortable indoor environment (under Net Zero Energy condition)
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
AI control reduces base station power consumption by up to 50%